Poole Hall & Fishery, Alveley, Bridgnorth, WV15 6JD
4 bedroom detached country house for sale
A MOATED MANOR HOUSE, TOGETHER WITH A WELL ESTABLISHED MATURE COARSE FISHING VENUE
- Convenient yet peaceful location
- Queen Anne style residence, providing approximately 4463 sq ft of residential floor space
- Partly renovated outbuilding providing ancillary residential accommodation.
- Extensive grounds & Pasture field
- Six mature well stocked fishing pools
FOR SALE BY PRIVATE TREATY
AVAILABLE AS A WHOLE OR IN TWO LOTS
Lot 1 Poole Hall, Moat and Pools £1,250,000
Lot 2 Poole Hall Fishery £ 285,000
Poole Hall provides an excellent opportunity to acquire a grand Queen Anne Style English Manor house and improve and upgrade the living accommodation in a picturesque setting. Combined with the fishery business, the property presents opportunities for a country lifestyle with the potential to develop and expand the existing business and create alternative enterprises including a potential holiday letting business utilising the partly renovated cottage (subject to appropriate planning permissions).
Situation in South Shropshire, Poole Hall lies off the A442 between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth. Heading south from Bridgnorth travel for about 6.5 miles and the property can be found on the right shortly after passing through the village of Alveley. Although there is no sale board, the Poole Hall sign stands on the entrance at the roadside.
Poole Hall offers substantial residential accommodation accessed through the forecourt walled garden into a stone porch. The accommodation to the ground floor includes an entrance hall, two reception rooms, farmhouse kitchen, back kitchen and W.C. Four bedrooms, dressing room and two-family bathrooms to the first floor. Additionally, there are three attic rooms and cellars.
Of particular note are the heavy oak staircase with mitre shaped spindles leading from the entrance hall, an oak panelled bedroom with the opportunity subject to planning to re-open the original windows which are currently bricked up and a panel of medieval graffiti retained and preserved in a front bedroom. The oak staircase continues to the second floor where attic rooms provide the scope to create studios or further residential accommodation.
In addition to the sheltered forecourt walled garden, large lawned areas extend to the rear with access directly to the moat.
To the west side of the property stands a stone-built cottage, now partly refurbished and in need of completion to provide ancillary residential accommodation.
The attractive Moat and Abbey pools could equally be utilised as a fishery or simply be used for amenity or leisure purposes while the adjacent pasture fields provide potential for lifestyle farming or equine pursuits.
Poole Hall fishery is a modest sized fishery venue with a long history of coarse fishing with organised matches held on a regular basis. The four large pools provide 150 pegs in total and the car park area and adjacent land provides the opportunity to erect a cabin/store (subject to appropriate planning permissions).
The current owner is registered with Cefas Fish Health Inspectorate (FHI) under the Aquatic Animal Health (England and Wales) Regulations 2009 as an operator of the fishery.
Although the primary activity is that of a fishery, it is considered that alternative amenity uses may be possible subject to planning permissions either as an alternative or complementary to the current use. It is considered there is opportunity to build on the current fishery business to enhance the facility generally and increase revenue.
The property is offered for sale to include all fish stocks. Fishery catch records and financial records will be made available to interested parties after an initial viewing and after providing proof of funding.
These are to be included in the sale price. Stocks include mostly coarse fish; Roach, Bream, Tench and Common Carp up to 30lb. The Abbey pool in Lot 1 contains Mandarin and Wels Catfish with catch records up to 67lb.
Poole Hall is a delightful Grade II* Listed Manor House situated on a medieval moated site. Recorded as a well-preserved example with water on three sides, this type of site often served as a prestigious aristocratic residence. Thought to stand on the site of an 11th Century priory, the moat may have been constructed as a status symbol. The peak period for moat construction being between about 1250 and 1350, but it is understood that Carp farming commenced on the site in the early 15th Century.
The moated site is a Scheduled Monument which includes the earthwork and any upstanding structural and buried remains and is considered to be the centre of the old manor of Alveley. A documentary source indicated that a Mr John Grove acquired sole ownership of the manor house in 1594, soon afterwards constructing Poole Hall as the large three storey house present today.
The front of the house was refaced in the early 18th Century in a Queen Anne style and at the same time the western half of the southern area of the moat infilled in order to construct the walled forecourt, also Grade II* Listed. Remnant causeways of sandstone construction and stone-built curtain walls to part of the moat remain mostly as hidden or buried features. To the north and south of the moat were a series of medieval fishponds now redefined and others constructed to form the modern fishery as seen today.